The Disciples of Jesus Covenant Community began in October 1979, and, on 1 September 1994, amalgamated with Hephzibah Covenant Community which began in February 1982. The amalgamated Community, which retained the name Disciples of Jesus, currently has branches in Canberra, Cairns, Sydney (North, South and Mountains), Melbourne, Perth, Adelaide, Hobart, Darwin, Wollongong, Denpasar (Bali), Manila (Philippines), and Port Moresby and Mount Hagan in PNG. It now numbers about 1100 men, women and children. Since the early 1980’s the Community has been affiliated with other covenant communities throughout the world, and is a member of the Catholic Charismatic Renewal International Service (CHARIS) which is recognised as a private association of the Christian faithful of Pontifical right.
The Sydney North Branch was the first of the Disciples of Jesus Covenant Community Branches and for some time was the heart of the Community. It commenced on the 21st of October 1979 initially meeting in Pymble. After some months the community gatherings moved to the Parish Hall at Waitara close to where a number of community members lived. Since then the branch has met in several locations including North Ryde, Rydalmere, Baulkham Hills and their current gathering location in North Rocks.
In the early years the community’s vision was concentrated on working to serve the Church in Sydney. The focus was, from the earliest days, on evangelisation. Sydney-wide Rallies were held, and these attracted large crowds at venues such as football stadiums. On occasions, 10 metre banners were strung up on the approaches to the Sydney Harbour Bridge and other strategic locations to advertise the events.